Beverage Steward - Safeway
POSITION TITLE: Beverage Steward
LOCATION: Pleasanton, CA
REPORTS TO: Store Manager
Safeway Inc., a Fortune 100 Company, is one of the largest food and drug retailers in North America with 1,600+ stores. The Safeway family of brands includes some of the most prominent brands in food retailing, with a growing base of loyal shoppers. Thanks to the professionalism, diversity, spirit, and friendliness of our people, we have locations across the U.S. and Canada.A DAY IN THE LIFE OF A BEVERAGE STEWARD
As a beverage steward, no one day is ever the same at Safeway. To truly be successful in the position, the individual needs to be passionate about wines, beers and/or spirits, enjoy conversing with people, and take pride in delivering exceptional customer service with a willingness to learn about the products in our broad portfolio. Our customers are thirsting for help in the decision-making process, and you might be just the right person for the role.DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Establishing and developing relationships with customers by educating them about wines, beers and/or spirits.
• Enhancing the customer shopping experience by recommending wines, beers and spirits, and food and beverage pairings. • Maintaining superior customer service and increasing customer loyalty by having friendly, casual conversations with customers about wines, beers, spirits and food and beverage pairings.
• Developing and organizing unique customer tasting and sampling events by making the connection between beverages and cheese, meat, seafood, appetizers, entrees and desserts.
• Presenting and displaying wines, beers and/or spirits to attract customers.
• Encouraging and promoting special orders (6-pack purchases and case purchases).
• Ensuring the proficiency and profitability of the liquor department by executing marketing plans, monitoring/maintaining inventory levels and replenishing wines, beers, and/or spirit products throughout the day.
• Maintaining liquor department schematics, safety and sanitation.
• Implementing the liquor department’s monthly/weekly the liquor merchandising plan • Performing other duties as assigned
• Basic knowledge of the wine, beer and spirits categories
• Knowledge of wine characteristics
• Understanding of the process and procedure of wine tasting
• Willing to be educated further about wines, beers, and/or spirits.
• Ability to understand and follow instructions, and ability to read, retain and comprehend
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Excellent customer service skills
• Ability to use basic math skills
• Self-motivated professional with drive to increase knowledge of Safeway products and share that knowledge with Safeway customers.
• Ability to work collaboratively as a team player with strong interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task and work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to plan and organize “selling events” each week
• Must be at least 21 years old
• Willing to work Friday’s, weekends, and holidays.
Seldom: 1-2 hours, Occasional: 3-4 hours, Frequent: 5-6 hours, Continuous: 7+ hours (Based on an 8 hour work week)
• Lift/Carry: Occasional lift/carry 10-55 lbs.
• Push/Pull: Seldom, push/pull 20-25 lbs. cases
• Squat/Kneel: Seldom
• Bend/Stoop: Seldom
• Twist/Turn: Occasional
• Stand/Walk: Frequent
• Grip/Grasp: Frequent
• Reach: Continuous
** The Company is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to compliance with its obligations under all applicable state and federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination. In keeping with this commitment, it attempts to reasonably accommodate applicants and employees in accordance with the requirements of the disability discrimination laws. It also invites individuals with disabilities to participate in a good faith, interactive process to identify reasonable accommodations that can be made without imposing an undue hardship.SAFEWAY AND WHY YOU WANT TO JOIN US
Safeway has always been a people business, and thoughtful people practices remain a core element of our company’s philosophy. As friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy offering customers an exceptional shopping experience, we provide world-class customer service each and every day.
Safeway provides a variety of benefits including:
• Great pay
• Flexible schedule
• Great training
• Opportunities for career development
• Health and welfare benefits for eligible employees
• Leisure time activity discounts