San Francisco Wine School is offering the first and only professional credential relating to California wine to support the next generation of industry-leading California wine experts.
California Wine Appellation Specialist® is a comprehensive, up-to-date, formal education program, featuring material that is literally impossible to find from other resources
- Identification and interpretation of USA and California wine laws
- Discussion of history and impact of California’s American Viticultural Areas
- Detailed investigation of California’s wine production
- Examination of the various climates, soils, grapes, and wineries of each region that make it distinctive to the California wine landscape
Blind Wine Tasting Exercises Included:
Exercise your tasting skills in all three versions of CWAS! At San Francisco Wine School we feel tasting wine is crucial to the educational experience.
- Blind taste over 60 wines in both the 3-Day and 9-Week Credential Program to enhance learning objectives. All wines are selected by Master Sommelier David Glancy to represent all the AVAs of California
- Participate in in-depth tasting assignments with your peers in the Online Credential Program
Why CWAS® is so important:
Italy and France both have internationally recognized certification programs in place to drive interest and celebrate the nuances their wine regions. “If wine students don’t have the resources or formal channels to specialize in California wine, it sends the wrong message about California’s diverse range of meso-climates, grape varieties, and wine styles,” warns Glancy. “To compete with old world imports and fully tap into growing demand for wine, we need to put educational channels in place to properly engage the industry. Competition is only getting more intense.” See David Glancy discuss California’s varied regions for Wine Institute and Discover California Wines.
Master sommelier David Glancy, founder of San Francisco Wine School and creator of CWAS® has a deep history with wine education. He currently sits on the board of the Society of Wine Educators and is only one of twelve Master Sommeliers in the world to pass their rigorous Certified Wine Educator exam. He also created, managed and taught the only Certified Sommelier Program approved by Court of Master Sommeliers at the Professional Culinary Institute.