We strive to open up the world of wine to serious wine students everywhere. We help people of all levels break into the wine industry, advance their career, or simply pursue their passions. Founded by Master Sommelier David Glancy, we are the largest wine school in the country offering the most thorough approach to wine study.
After David Glancy, MS, CWE created the groundbreaking Certified Sommelier Program at Professional Culinary Institute (now ICC) he was repeatedly asked:
- What certifications do I need to stay competitive?
- Which credentialing bodies are most respected in the industry?
- What’s the smartest way to prepare for exams?
- Who are the best instructors?
- Should I study and work at the same time?
As a result, David founded San Francisco Wine School in 2011. He knew these students needed a new kind of school—one that allowed students to achieve the highest level of wine certification through an accessible, modular path of study. This modular path allows each student to create a unique educational experience to meet their goals.
David evaluated all the wine certifications and programs in the industry and chose those created by only the most trusted, well respected sources. He also created proprietary programs to prepare students for self-study exams, helping students pass and enrich the educational process.
Learn how each of our programs can be used as a building block toward different career paths and certifications here.
We hire only the best instructors who know wine and know how to teach. Our instructors have the highest credentials from all four major credentialing bodies, including:
- Master Sommelier Diplomas from Court of Master Sommeliers
- Diploma in Wine & Spirits from Wine & Spirits Education Trust
- Certified Wine Educators from Society of Wine Educators
- Master of Wine from Institute of Masters of Wine
We believe every student who joins us needs a community of support to succeed.
- Job Board is updated regularly by employers who seek out our alumni
- Glancy Wine Blog provides the latest wine industry news and analysis
- Scholarships and Corporate Rates help make education accessible
We offer remote study options with weekly tasting assignments and virtual-classroom interaction and intensive programs that condense material for expedited learning. Our certification programs are also broken into single workshops that may be taken individually, so students can select only the subjects that matter most to them. We also offer corporate training, public events & appearances and private events at our gorgeous 4,000 square foot Wine Education Center and around the world.